Search This Blog

Friday, November 22, 2013

Dino Tracks and Farm Visit ~

Ever since I moved to my village, I have wanted to visit the “dinosaur tracks” nearby. Today, I had that opportunity. The dino tracks are at a nearby farm where visitors can tour the tracks, learn about the geology and history of the area, and stay at a guesthouse or camp. I found the visit tremendously interesting – especially since, as a child, like many of us, I aspired to be a paleontologist.
Below are photos of the Dino Tracks signs, some of the tracks, and our knowledgeable guide.
Today also included a visit to a nearby farm. I am including shots of these cattle as the cattle and meat industry are so important to Namibia’s economy. Currently, the drought conditions are causing a lot of damage and suffering. There was also this newborn, baby calf, which had not yet stood up! Finally, there was an unfortunate incident with this hartebeest, which got caught in the fence and passed away overnight. We had to go and free him from the wire – some of the local people will make “biltong” or dried meat, from the animal carcass.
It was an interesting and informative Sunday! Come visit Namibia!

No comments:

Post a Comment