Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

TRIBUTE TO Jennifer Caldwell

TRIBUTE TO Jennifer Caldwell As I did in 2010 when I traveled to Kenya, I would again like to dedicate this blog, and my time in Nairobi, to Jennifer Caldwell. Jen was an amazing human rights activist who passed away a few years ago. She was a University of Washington student, and was traveling around the world on the prestigious Bonderman fellowship when she was tragically killed in South Africa. Jen was truly a force – a force for good, and a strong advocate for human rights. Jen once single-handedly organized a fair-trade coffee fair at UW, and led the efforts to make coffee across campus fair-trade. I never had the opportunity to meet Jen, but she inspires me nonetheless. Everyone that I have ever talked to who knew Jen speaks of her determination, her commitment, and her drive for human rights. She died when she was only 24. Her aunt, Linda, created a scholarship in her name immediately after her death. My good friend Lydia Ansari and I were fortunate enough to win this scholarship, which helped to support our studies and work in Kenya during 2010. Winning this award in Jen’s name has been a constant source of inspiration and motivation for me. For those of us who have the gift of life, I believe we also have an obligation to engage with something that we believe in and care strongly about. Jen’s spirit has helped me through times of doubt or discouragement. Even though I never met her, she inspires me often. I am thankful for Jen, for her aunt Linda, for her community, and for Jen’s enduring spirit. Please take a moment and remember Jen today. If you are able, and feel moved to do so, please donate to the Jen Caldwell Memorial Scholarship through the University of Washington. This scholarship helps to fund the work, studies, and travel of other human rights activists, and helps to carry on Jen’s vision, and to honor her memory. See here: https://www.washington.edu/giving/make-a-gift?page=funds&source_typ=3&source=CALDWJ Below are photos of Jen, one of her and her aunt Linda and Linda’s baby, and one of Jen here in Namibia. She passed away in South Africa and had traveled in Namibia as well – my new home.

2 comments: