Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

Intercultural Exchange

Today we had an amazing taste of Namibian culture! Peace Corps Namibia hosted an intercultural day. Each language group cooked traditional foods for their tribes or region of Namibia. It was a fun, festive and interesting day! The regions/groups represented were Kavango, Caprivi, Oshiherrero, Oshivanga and Afrikaans. Highlights included: fresh chicken, mopane worms, the most delicious bread ever, traditional stewed spinach, 3 kinds of stomach (yes, stomach), and sugar cane. There were 6 chickens beheaded – I watched one, and it was quite sad. But I did watch because I am trying to experience everything here – as with the mopane worms.  As a vegetarian, I was able to avoid the stomach situation, but it was interesting nonetheless to see how it was prepared! The traditional costumes were amazing! You can see below my friend Anita (she is from Brooklyn, not Namibia!) in traditional Hererro dress below. It is European style, and the locals here added the animal-horn style hats to tailor it to Namibia. Below you will also see the stone pots in which all of the food was cooked, my host mom Rianna holding the mopane worms, and our group making “roosterbrot” – grilled Afrikaans bread. I appreciate being able to learn more and more about Namibian culture. Heroes’ day is coming up, which celebrates Namibian independence, and honors those that died in the struggle for freedom. I will write more about that when the time comes. I miss and love all of you at home, and send all my best. Hope you are each doing well - happy, inspired, and at peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment