Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Swakop Half

The Swakop half marathon was awesome - my favorite moment was cheering on one of the male marathoners, and his humble "thank you"....it reminded me of the equal playing field I have always felt as an athlete (whether man or woman). It was a breath of fresh air in light of the too prevalent gender inequality, DV, even so-called "passion killings" that unfortunately take place here in Namibia. As an athlete, I have always felt respected regardless of my gender, and a great sense of equality between men and women. Title 9 in the US has accomplished a lot - of course, there is always more to be done! Here in Namibia, I feel real pain for my sisters, for the women here, for what is often gender inequality. I know it is only a small insight into the challenges and oppression that women, and people in general, face around the world. I am inspired, though, by how far we have come, and by how much we are certain to accomplish together.

No comments:

Post a Comment