Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Resilience

A concept that I have recently become very interested in is resilience. Originally, a friend of mine brought my attention to this social work concept. She cited it in another friend who had come out of a really challenging set of circumstances still buoyant and positive. How is it that some of us come undone by life’s challenges, and others remain steadfast and undaunted?
I have begun reflecting on this question in relation to the women in my village here in Namibia. They are amazing. Many of them keep going, no matter the odds.
When I interviewed “Ataka” (see previous blog post), she told me it was her faith in God that kept her going. Currently, I am reading a book by Andrew Harvey called The Hope: A Sacred Guide to Activism. In it, Harvey talks about “how impassioned and sincere prayer can fill you with a courage and energy beyond ordinary human capacity.” He talks about Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., and others. They all relied on prayer, and said they could not have done their important and courageous work without it.
I have always been a skeptic. Even today, I do not pray properly. Being in the Peace Corps, I have found more time to do yoga, but true sitting meditation or prayer is something that has always escaped me. However, reading this by Harvey, and experiencing life here and sometimes not knowing where else to turn, I am inspired by this power of prayer, and interested in how prayer, spirituality and religion intersect with resilience.
I recently posted about Victor Frankl. He said that people find meaning in life when they can help others, when they know others rely on them, or when they have a seminal work or project which they are devoting themselves to.
What is behind women’s resilience here in Namibia. What inspires them to keep going?

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me dear sister...it's early in the morning here and I was thinking of you...miss you so. Read your blog and feel more courageous for the day:) Sending loving and peace to you in Namibia. Brynn

    ReplyDelete