Search This Blog

Monday, September 2, 2013

Reality stranger than fiction?

Am returning now from holiday to Vic Falls and Lake Malawi. As I said, will post photos soon.
One of the photos I plan to post is of a fellow passenger on the bus I took to the lake. It is a little girl carrying a live chicken. This sets the stage for the kind of day it had been...
After that crazy bus ride, I had finally arrived at the Malawi/Zambia border. When I arrived at the lodge where I had hoped to stay, 3 smiling Zambians told me that, "the kitchen and half the lodge burned down today; we are closed." (!!) Desperate, I asked if there was another place to stay, and they recommended a place nearby. I walked in, but there was noone there. I gave up and walked towards the hotel across the street. Suddently, there was a Zambian woman next to me, red-faced and out of breath. "I'm sorry!!" she said! I said it was OK, but that I had decided to check into the hotel across the street. She kindly continued to apologize and explained how expensive the hotel is, etc. Finally, I decided to go with her because she was being so kind. I decided this speaks well for Zambians...if she is a representative of Zambia. It was kind of her to track me down!
Then...I tell her I plan to take a bath....she replies that "there is no water." But - no problem - she returns with hot water for a bucket bath.
After enjoying a dinner of nshima (maize meal) and a local green vegetable similar to spinach, at the cost of $2 USD, I go back to my room and discover - of course - that now the lights are not working. I inquire, and the kind girl tells me that there is low voltage throughout the town (Chipata) and tells me "don't worry" (!!!)
She offers me a candle.
So it was - I sat writing this blog post by candlelight somewhere near the border. I find it funny to realize how reliant I am on "luxuries" such as running water and electricity! Most of the rest of the world does not have these things - but when I don't have them it feels such an inconvenience. It is interesting to be aware of all of our different experiences and perceptions of the world...
So...burned down lodges, sketchy places with no water or electricity, vs. nice hotels and reliability, but perhaps a bit more insular experience? What do you prefer? I don't know...but I do know that I enjoy the Peace Corps life I am experiencing here. (But let's be honest, that I also like water and electricity!)
This also provides an interesting comparision between Zambia, Malawi and Namibia. Namibia is much more developed than these countries - due mainly to the legacy of South Africa and German colonial rule here, which build the infrastructure in Namibia. It is the double-edged sword of colonialism - there are some benefits, but also the negative sides ~

No comments:

Post a Comment