Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

From J’Burg, Back to the Village…

Here are some highlights from the J’Burg airport:
- What do you think?
- It is always the small things in life… .This is the Nam/SA equivalent of SBUX… Cannot quite express how happy I was to have these items in my possession…
On a deeper note, this is where I am at right now:
The Peace Corps both leaves a lot of space for, and forces in a way, the journeys we must take within ourselves.
Back at site…I was fortunate enough to have an awesome Peace Corps trainee shadow me during the past week. There is a new group of volunteers training in, and part of their program is observing other teachers live in the classroom. We had a lot of fun, and she was a big help to me!
She even inspired me to visit new places in my village. I have always been curious about this old building. I had first heard that it used to be a train station. My village was a fairly large and bustling German town in the 70s and 80s, with supermarkets, banks, etc. Now there is literally only a very small shop, a clinic, our school, and the police station (there is not even a petrol station!). But back in the day, it was quite a dynamic little place. Back to the building below, when we visited, I was told that it had actually been a hotel. Now, there are many people squatting inside the remains of the hotel building. It is quite extraordinary how people make use of the available resources to make a viable shelter. People are very resourceful.
And we had an amazing surprise when we turned the corner to check out the back of the building and discovered these very sweet baby goats…

No comments:

Post a Comment