Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Zambia Photos

Below are photos from my recent trip to Zambia. First, a quote to begin the journey…
In Livingstone, we visited Vic Falls:
And Mukuni Village, which includes a goat milk cooperative in which HIV+ mothers can obtain goat milk for their babies free of charge. Most of the moms are on anti-retrovirals, so their babies are HIV free, but the goat milk helps to keep the babies strong, and makes it easier on the mother as she can stop breast feeding at age 6 months.
Below you can see the goats, the program Co-Director and me, a traditional dance performance that the school kids performed for us, and an inspirational quote on the chalk board in a school at the center.
Next are photos from a traditional Zambian village dinner that we had at Professor Ashbaugh’s friend’s house. The meal was one of the best that I have ever had in my life! Below are some typical Zambian village shots:
Colorful shatenges brighten everything up in Zambia…
In Katete, we toured St. Francis hospital. This is a photo of one of the abandoned buildings there. The rest of the hospital was quite nice and modern.
Finally, I went on a game drive in Mfuwe. Below, you can see the giraffes, elephants and hippopotami.
Zambia is stunning and gorgeous, and I feel much healed and revitalized by this journey. I am inspired by the University of Washington students and by Professor Ashbaugh, and I am moved by the simple, yet intentional and harmonious way that I saw many of the Zambians living. You feel much more in tune with nature in such an earthy, peaceful setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment