Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

The Herero

One of the first things that I learned about Namibia is that, just like South Africa, the country was under a system of apartheid until 1990. This very recent change has left very obvious ramifications in this beautiful country. Being so new to Namibia, I have yet to experience and learn about the deep-rooted meaning behind this legacy; but even at the surface level, the remnants of post-apartheid Namibia are very apparent. Here in Okahandja, about 2 hour north of Windhoek, the capitol of Namibia, there is a large watchtower which looms above the small town. Apparently this was used for surveillance and control during apartheid. Strangely, the tower still stands and is quite an ominous reminder of Namibia’s past. Another thing we learned right away is about the dark history of Germany in Namibia. Germany colonized Namibia, which is why German is still spoken in the capitol and throughout much of Namibia. In many towns, there are still German bakeries, churches, and one can purchase German newspapers. I have to say it is an uncomfortable feeling, being German myself, fluent in German, and knowing that this is perceived by many to be the language of the oppressors. Returning to this history, the Herero tribe was one of the largest here in Namibia. Unfortunately, during WWII, the Herero suffered from an extensive genocide at the hands of the Germans. Thus, throughout much of Namibia, there are many Herero grave sites and memorials. Just down the road from our training center, there is a Herero grave site. These are meant to honor and remember those that fell victim to this chapter in history. I will continue to post and comment on this topic throughout my service as I find it an important and compelling theme to explore. I would also like to thank Professor Joel Ngugi and the Kenya Human Rights Group for guiding me on this journey and shaping my views. I love you all! Below are photos of the Herero memorial site and the Okahandja watch tower.

1 comment:

  1. Mariah,
    Thank you for all that you are teaching to us and for taking time to blog. I look forward to learning more about Namibia and the culture there. I looked at a map, the time change and the current weather, I feel as though I have a bit of better idea of where you are now. I can "place" you. Love you! Brynn

    ReplyDelete