Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2014

Village Life ~

School has begun again. The academic here runs Jan – Dec rather than Sept – May like in the U.S. The start of the school year is, um, sloowwww. We are still registering students, creating a timetable, etc. It is frustrating, but after a year and a half here, I at least know what to expect.
I will still be teaching English and Basic Information Science (I.T., research skills, information careers, working to foster a “reading culture,” etc.) Peace Corps Volunteers are mandated to cut our teaching load to 50% during our second year soas to focus more on our secondary projects. So Pena and I will continue with our community garden and soup kitchen for individuals living with HIV and AIDs, as well as our women’s group. At school, we will continue our spelling bees, debate team, and our Club Glow (leadership club).
Continuing to learn and to be challenged on a daily basis – essentially, I will be headed home in less than 8 months. Looking forward to next steps, but set to make the most out of the coming months.
Below are some photos from my village:
First, some of the kids who like to come over to play and colour ~
Recent rain, and a recent sunset ~
Village shots~
And a current photo of my community counterpart and my garden and soup kitchen project. The soup kitchen will serve individuals living with HIV and AIDs.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! OMG 8 months left, can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete