Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Gifts

These recent photos are somewhat simple in nature, but nonetheless, I believe, beautiful. The first is a bowl of pomegranates that my neighbors picked off their tree and offered me as a gift. In my families, pomegranates are revered for their mysterious and perfect beauty. So I was thrilled to eat receive these beautiful fruits. I ate them one night after the other, the entire thing, as a dessert. It was truly divine. ☺
The other photo is my friend Job. He is my neighbor and a student at the school where I teach. Last weekend he rescued this baby bird that had fallen out of its mother’s nest. It was Job’s lucky day because later he showed me a beautiful and perfect (empty) honeycomb from a bee’s nest that he had also found, abandoned.
Now as I write this I see them message: the perfection of nature! Pomegranates with their perfect compartments of juicy, red seeds. Beautiful baby birds and kind kids. Nature’s miracle of the production of honeycomb, intricate and strong.
I will write and post more soon. I want you all to know I love and miss community in the U.S. and wherever you are. I am also really happy here in Namibia, and finding a new equilibrium – the slower, more dignified pace of life is healing. Immersing myself in this village with true warriors and victors is an inspiration. And falling deeply into teaching is a blessing and a gift.
Update: Last weekend our school also had a visit by Ombesha Yohinga Organization, a dance and drama troupe that raises awareness about HIV/AIDs prevention, healthy lifestyles and youth leadership. These are two shots of their performance. In the second photo, the red ribbons signify those that are HIV positive.
And the final photo is of some of my students.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for this post. it is filled with so much joy and hope! i miss you and love you mariah!

    ReplyDelete