Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Defining a New Professionalism

As the holidays wind down, I have been given some time to reflect.
The primary goals of the Peace Corps are to provide development assistance to countries who request it, and to foster understanding between the U.S. and other countries of the world. Above and beyond that, the journey is deeply personal. We are here to serve, and this often manifests on a deeply personal level. We aim to support, to accompany, and to mentor the students and community members in our villages. We also know that each of us, as Peace Corps Volunteers, will also be deeply transformed. Within this personal transformation lie many complexities and tensions. I will discuss some of these here.
Throughout my Peace Corps training and service thus far, I have observed a turbulent war within myself. It is one between finding and claiming my voice, speaking out against injustice, yet at the same time needing to take a step back, LISTEN and let the local community lead (for they know their culture, needs and local community best), and be culturally sensitive. It simply isn’t my place to always be vocal about my beliefs or convictions. Namibia is not my country or my culture and my role is to accompany people on their journey to realize their human rights, to facilitate discussion, and to encourage and foster local leadership. Positive examples I follow and admire are Margaret Wilson and Rita Conceicao of Bahia Street, Nancy Bacon of Sou Digna, and Molly Melching of Tostan. The quote by Lilla Watson, an Aboriginal activist, sums it up quite well,
"If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together."
So, on a personal level, my journey is to reconcile the advocate within with the need to step back, to listen and to remain culturally sensitive. What I have discovered is that this may mean that I progress and move forward in some ways, while seemingly reverting in others. In the end, we must have faith that life is revealing the lessons that we are meant to be taught.
Howard Zinn also discusses a compelling conflict or tension which I find relevant to my experience here. In a lecture he gave at Reed College, Zinn talks about professionalism, the commonly accepted concept of professionalism vs. challenging the status quo. He talks about a new definition of professionalism, of redefining one’s profession, contributing, enhancing, and challenging when necessary, but not to adhering to a static or stale definition of professionalism.
At this juncture, and for the rest of my life, I am attempting to embrace these tensions and complexities, working to accept and embrace them. I strive to reconcile and to piece together the contrasting pieces of the puzzle, to form a more informed worldview and a more nuanced approach to development. For this is a journey whose destination will never be met – it will be an ongoing journey of give and take. For now, I will work to embrace my own voice while also remaining culturally sensitive and stepping back for local leadership to take the helm. I will work to realize my authentic, creative self and try to cast aside doubts regarding a seemingly less-conventional path. And finally, I will work to live Zinn’s definition of professionalism as also challenging the status quo, working to realize progressive ideals and creating new definitions of what it means to be a professional.
The best any of us can do is try – to strive each day to do our very best, and to constantly challenge and move beyond real and perceived boundaries. I have come to believe that everything you do matters.
As Lao Tzu said, “Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”
This can be scary, but also exciting. Let us start now! And let us contribute to the collective consciousness of the world in a positive way. It is despite, and even because of these tensions and challenges that we can seek to serve and to be our best selves, to be of service to others, to our communities and to the global fellowship of those seeking justice.
Stand up today; the time is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment